Monday 11 November 2013

Minecraft Music Rant

I have been playing Minecraft on and off for some time now (since the beta days), and there are some audio related issues I have with the game. I must first point out how much I love the music written by C148, and I bought the volume alpha album off bandcamp immediately after my first experience playing the game [1]. However, many updates have been and gone, yet the music has stayed the same. It is getting to the point now where I feel new music should either be added or replace the soundtrack that has been implemented for so long.

Another area that I feel needs addressing is the way in which the music is implemented by the Mojang development team. With an increasing awareness of interactivity in games, music can be used to convey information as well as being non-repetitive. However, the music in Minecraft is too linear for my likening. For example, you can be exploring the deep realms of the Minecraft world and have no clue to whether it is night or day above. Couldn't the music be arranged to provide this information? Possibly a change in tonality from major (day) to minor (night)?




This month has seen the release of a new Minecraft - Volume Beta audio collection, created and released by C148 [2]. As beautiful and well constructed this music is, I am eager to hear how it will be integrated into the Minecraft game.

[1] http://c418.bandcamp.com/album/minecraft-volume-alpha

[2] http://c418.bandcamp.com/album/minecraft-volume-beta

No comments:

Post a Comment