Tuesday 12 November 2013

Careers Talk

I have been given the opportunity to talk to a class of A-Level music technology students, to discuss the career possibilities that are associated with the subject. I feel honoured to be invited back to my old college, providing the opportunity to engage with students and develop an understanding of how their education can open an exciting pallet of job opportunities.

The reason I find this opportunity so exciting and important is predominantly because I wish I had someone explain the career possibilities at that stage of my development. I spent the majority of my education naively assuming that music technology could only establish a career in the "music business", and had no idea of the extent of the careers possible when possessing an understanding of music technology.


It is important to note how highly I regard the education of music technology, as it combines the creativeness of music and the technical aspects often associated with the studies of engineering or science. I have found that those studying music technology often find solace in hearing positives stories relating to the subject. While I studied music technology there were often comments stating that "music technology is not a real subject" or "not academic", which if anything fuelled my ambition to succeed.

My first concern when asked to give a careers talk was whether I was the right person for the job. It seemed slightly hypocritical to discuss possible career choices when I am not currently employed in the career I am talking about. However, after some deliberation I realised I am more than qualified to assist young minds on the possibilities of music technology related careers. I can draw on a range of experiences relating to music technology careers that range from freelance employment and an extensive education in music technology.

An exciting aspect of this careers talk will be the reunion with college teacher, who nurtured my music and music technology development. This will include observing the once dreaded 'lunch time concert', which was a weekly solo performance required to be undertaken by every music student. As nerve racking as this once was for me, it pushed me to become the guitarist I am now. So to be on the viewing side of the concert will be an intriguing opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment